- Applesauce, unsweetenend 1/4 Cup
- Canola oil 1/4 Cup
- Brown sugar, light or dark 1/2 cup packed (3.75 ounces)
- Baking Soda 3/4 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg, ground 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
- Bananas, very ripe, mashed 1 and 1/2 cups (about 3 medium)
- Honey 1/4 cup
- Eggs, large 2 whole
- Flour, Whole Wheat 1 and 1/2 cups (6 ounces)
- Wheat germ, ground flakes 1/2 cup
- Walnuts, chopped, toasted 1/2 cup (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine all ingredients up to the whole wheat flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk swiftly with a fork until all ingredients are well-combined and honey is not sticking to the bottom of bowl.
- In seperate bowl combine the flour and wheat germ.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the banana mixture into it.
- Using a spoon stir the ingredients together (do not beat or over mix!) Stop when there are no more dry spots of flour. Mixture will be lumpy.
- Gently fold in the nuts.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and put in oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Lay a piece of foil loosely across top of loaf pan and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit in pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn bread out onto cooling rack and cool completely before slicing – at least one hour!!!! This ensures that all the moisture and flavor is fully absorbed by the bread.
For nutritional analysis see my post on Banana Bread