Yield: About 4 cups
- 5 1/2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds or celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- Combine the cucmbers and salt in a large bowl, cover and chill 1 1/2 hours. Drain and rinse cucumbers under cold water.
- Drain cucumbers again and return to the large bowl. Add sliced onion.
- Combine the sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until all of the sugar is dissovled. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Store in an airtight container, in refrigerator, up to 2 weeks.
Note: Adapted from a recipe in Cooking Light, August 2008. If you like your pickles sweet, increase the white sugar to 1 cup and brown sugar to 1/2 cup packed.