Servings: 2 Large or 4 Small Salads
- 1 to 2 heads butter lettuces or mixed garden lettuces
- 1 small head radicchio (optional)
- 1 large ruby grapefruit
- Grapefruit Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 avocado, peeled, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces, preferably toasted
- Separate, rinse and dry lettuce leaves.
- Tear or cut larger leaves to bite-size pieces
- Using a small sharp knife, slice off the top and bottom and then remove the peel and white pith from the grapefruit. Hold the grapefruit over a bowl to catch the juice (and save for the vinaigrette) and cut each section loose by slicing next to the membrane.
- Make the vinaigrette.
- Assemble all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Gently toss in the amount of vinaigrette you like.
Yield: About 1/3 Cup
- Grapefruit juice, fresh 2 Tablespoons
- Champagne Vinegar 1/2 Tablespoon (can also use white wine vinegar)
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Shallot 1 whole, finely diced
- Olive Oil 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons (do not use extra virgin here)
- Combine everything but the oil in a bowl. Gradually, while whisking, stream in the oil.
- Taste for season.